Riichi Competition Rules Penalties & Errors
A chombo is a severe penalty. The offender pays 4000 to East and 2000 to others. If East is the offended he pays 4000 to each. Chombo penalty occurs under these circumstances:
- Invalid declaration of a win
- Declaring riichi on a hand that is not waiting (determined in case of a draw)
- Declaring a concealed kan after declaring riichi (determined in case of a drawn or the player wins)
- Exposing five or more tiles from the wall, the player's hand or opponent's hand.
- Claiming a tile after a dead hand.
After a chombo, riichi bets during that hand are returned and there is a re-deal. No counter is placed and the deal does not rotate.
Late to Game
- If a player is late by < 10 minutes the player is penalized 10 points; 11-15 minutes the player is penalized 20 points; after 15 minutes the player has forfeited the game.
- If a player makes an error in making a chi, pon, or kan, and fails to correct the error, he forfeits the right to win the current hand.
- Calling a tile ("empty call") — A player will be penalized 10000 points second or 20000 points third time during a session.
Touching a Tile
- If a tile is touched from the wrong side of the wall and was revealed or touched the image surface the player forfeits the the right to win the current hand. The tile is returned.
- Exposing tiles from an opponent's hand or from the dead wall results in a dead hand.
Wrong Tile Count
- A player with more than 13 or fewer than 13 tiles forfeits the right to win the current hand.
- A player who does not take a replacement tile after a kan before discarding has a dead hand.
|v • e
||Japanese Modern Mahjong Series
page revision: 15, last edited: 21 Jul 2012 08:57